[fusion_text]I suspect that many of you who are reading this have made a commitment to read through your Bible this year. Others still need to make the commitment. But I want to encourage you to do it, and not give up.
Let me begin by dealing with the reasons you might not do it.
1. You have tried in the past and failed. You have started at the book of Genesis countless times, and never made it past the middle of Leviticus.
2. You have had a Bible reading schedule and you were following it, until you got far behind. By mid March you realized you were already five weeks behind, and realized that you will never catch up. And so you give up.
3. You work shifts, or your schedule changes frequently. Perhaps your work requires you to travel. But because of your inability to establish a pattern, it becomes increasingly difficult to carry on the daily discipline of Bible reading and prayer.
4. Your life frequently cycles into seasons of spiritual lethargy, and during these times, all discipline is abandoned.
5.You are not convinced of how imperative this matter is.
Now let’s consider some reasons why we might do it.
1. Your spiritual well-being depends on it. Psalm 119:11 says, “I have stored up Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You.” Put it the other way around and say, “If I fail to store up Your Word in my heart, I will be sinning against You.”
2. What you read will help you in the day of trouble. Psalm 119:92 says, “If Your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.” When trouble comes, and it will, your Bible reading will preserve you.
3. You will become wise and will win over spiritual lethargy. Psalm 19:7 promises, “The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.”
4. Your prayer life will be revolutionized. John 15:7 says, “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”
5. You will become courageous where once you were fearful. Joshua 1:8-9 promises, “This book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written it in. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
6. Reading the Bible allow you to understand both God and yourself. Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing the division of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”
One final thought: When you fall behind in your Bible reading, don’t try to catch up. Just pick up where you left off – and keep reading. And even though you may fail to read on a given day, don’t give up. Never quit, never be discouraged, never stop.
[/fusion_text][one_full last=”yes” spacing=”yes” center_content=”no” hide_on_mobile=”no” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” background_position=”left top” hover_type=”none” link=”” border_position=”all” border_size=”0px” border_color=”” border_style=”” padding=”” margin_top=”” margin_bottom=”” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”” animation_speed=”0.1″ animation_offset=”” class=”” id=””][button link=”https://www.backtothebible.ca/wp-content/uploads/Dr.-John-Neufeld-2017-Daily-Bible-Reading.pdf” color=”blue” size=”large” stretch=”yes” type=”flat” shape=”square” target=”_self” title=”” gradient_colors=”|” gradient_hover_colors=”|” accent_color=”” accent_hover_color=”” bevel_color=”” border_width=”” icon=”fa-book” icon_position=”left” icon_divider=”no” modal=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”1″ animation_offset=”” alignment=”” class=”” id=””]Click Here to Download Dr. John’s 2017 Daily Bible Reading Plan[/button][/one_full]
Read more from Dr. John & Company
Subscribe to Dr. John & Company Blog
Receive Dr. John & Company blog straight to your inbox.